Check casino history and reputation
Being safe starts with you. If you are unfamiliar with an online casino, you should commit an hour or two to thoroughly researching online gambling sites and build a shortlist with details of the ones that you want to join. Make sure they are linked to a reputable site with recommendations from a trusted source. Put safety above and beyond the bonus offer, the games and the banking options that any casino is promoting. Safety is your first priority. Most online casinos offer similar packages so what they can offer you is of less importance.
What to look for:
- Established – how long has the casino been in business for? Younger casinos will have less information available, which will make it hard to get a full understanding of how safe they are. Older casinos tend to have more information available (this does not mean that they are trustworthy) but it will allow to make an informed decision on whether or not you think they are a safe and secure gambling site.
- Reputation – What do other players have to say about them? Are they happy with the service or have they had issue with the casino in the past and suspected foul play?
- Banking – Have players reported that they aren’t being paid. Have payments been missed or are cheques bouncing? This will help give you an idea of whether or not the online gambling site is fraudulent.
Where to find it:
- Reviews – Read gambling site reviews. www.askgamblers.com is a trusted source and you’ll find a review for most gambling sites here. You can also find players comments and other handy information.
- Blacklists – Staying safe online is of the utmost importance. Check which casinos have been blacklisted and eliminate any you find from your list.
Data encryption at online casino (SSL protocol is important)
Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is a market-leading technology used to encrypt information. It prevents hackers accessing sensitive information like financial information and passwords. SSL always protects you against fraud and other online criminal activity. It is imperative that the casino you are choosing to play with has stated that they are using SSL protocol.
Before you go ahead and enter your payment card details make sure the link is secure. There are three ways you can check this.
- You should see a padlock symbol in the browser window. It should be green and have the word ‘Secure’ written next to it.
- The web address should begin with ‘https://’. The ‘s’ stands for ‘secure’.
- In instances where you are using the latest version of the browser, the address bar should also turn green.
Before opening an account, one way you can ensure that online gambling is safe is by reading the Terms and Conditions. The site in question should detail how they are going to use your information. Will it be kept safe and secure or are they planning on passing your information to third-parties? This is very important and you should make sure you are aware of how they plan to store your information. If you are not satisfied with the information displayed, you can also contact online gambling sites via live-chat and question further. The customer care representative should be able to assist you and help with your queries and concerns. Remember, if in doubt, don’t proceed with opening an account and entering your card information.
Why Gaming Licenses are so important?
A gaming license is a permit given to casinos. These casinos are required to satisfy certain codes of conduct and operations, if these are not met, they will be refused a license. Make sure that the casino you want to open an account with is fully licensed and regulated by a governing body. Legitimate online casinos will state who they are licensed by and in which country they operate. For example, the UK Gambling Commission licenses and regulates a wide range of casinos. If a casino is found to be exhibiting gross misconduct, they could face hefty fines or their license could be revoked. You can find the licensing information in the ‘About Us’ section of most online casinos. If you can’t find the information you are looking for, use trusted sources and reviews to help. Never open an account with an unlicensed casino. If they don’t have a license, chances are they are up to no good and may be fraudulent.